Bartley Partners specialises in succession planning, including wills, estate planning, and medical directions, and works with leading Adelaide legal professionals to ensure that your arrangements are legally compliant and that taxation is minimised.
Personal succession planning
We all know the adage that the only two guarantees we have in life are death and taxes. Here at Bartley Partners, we do our best to assist you with both.
You have worked hard to accumulate and maintain your wealth to create a legacy for those most important to you. There are numerous ways to do this, including testamentary trusts, superannuation arrangements, wills, and pre-death transactions. If you are looking to create a will and/or other estate planning documents, we will find the right legal team for your situation, make sure that your decisions are tax effective, and assist in you with any mediation which may be required.
Business succession planning
Successful businesses have the capacity to outlast the people who create and manage them. This is why succession planning in a business context is so important. This can help to ensure that a family business stays within the family, or that an appropriate sale occurs, whether this is listing the business or helping it grow into a saleable commodity.
What questions should you ask about your succession planning?
- Are you intending for your children to inherit your business? If so, do they have the skills to run it in your absence?
- What is the age range of your staff? Would they be likely to stay on with a new owner if you do sell your business? This is important because a competent, ongoing staff base can be a key sales pitch when it comes time to move on from your business.
- Is your personal will up to date?
- What medical directions are you leaving? Are they legally compliant?
- Have you discussed with your family and others involved will what happen after your death to ensure that any disputes are sorted while you are still around to assist?
Many people find it easier to have these sorts of potentially difficult conversations under the aegis of a professional mediator, as this can ensure that your will is not contested and your wealth goes to your family, not to their lawyers. Anything left to the last minute generally costs more and is less effective.
Call us on (08) 8338 1033 to book a meeting to discuss your succession planning needs.